You didn’t ask for this, but here it is anyway. I have now been married for 3 years and 5 days and I can honestly say that I have learned more in the past 1,100 days than in all of the 24 years I spent on my own. There are some really basic, but really foundational things I’d like to pass on to you… married or not, it’s good to hear them:
- You are not that special – she is. It will serve you very well to realize that the woman that married you could have done much better but for some reason she felt pity and compassion on your sorry existence. You owe her a bigger debt than you can repay.
- It was clear to God that a man couldn’t handle the job alone. This should probably prompt a spirit of humility.
- Pay closer attention. If she has to come right out and say it… you’re missing the boat.
- You can never help out too much. Get off the couch and get your hands dirty. Responsibility doesn’t stop when you leave the office.
- Praying together can be awkward… but it brings you closer to each other and strengthens your relationship with God.
- If she sleeps on the couch because she’s mad at you… go get her.
- The most important thing in her life is now the most important thing in yours.
You’ll thank me one day.